FFf Eclectic Red Barn: What to do on vacation: Put up Hay

Thursday, June 12, 2014

What to do on vacation: Put up Hay

Just spent a wonderful week in Vermont with my grand children. The weather was great, which is rather unusual for this time of year. It seems that each year, no matter when I go to Vermont in the summer, we put up hay. My friend boards her horse at my son's barn so she asked if I could help with the hay this year.

Because of the great weather, the hay was beautiful and baled early.  So off we go to get the hay. I didn't get any pictures loading the bales since I was working to hard.
Eclectic Red Barn: Trailer loaded with hay
Here we are backing up the trailer with the first load - 66 bales. 

Eclectic Red Barn: Trailer loaded with hay
Can you see how green this hay is? It even had some purple in it. And the smell, wow it was great. For hay that is!!
Eclectic Red Barn: Putting up hay
That is my son in the grey t-shirt and tan shorts

This year we were able to get a conveyor belt to put the hay in the loft. In years past, we carried them up the stairs to the loft. That was exhausting!
Eclectic Red Barn: Conveyor belt for loadiing hay to loft
Check the sun shinning on the conveyor belt?
Eclectic Red Barn: Conveyor belt for loadiing hay to loft
Once we got the conveyor belt in place, it was time to load the hay. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Getting hay off trailer
You have to grab the hay off the trailer.
Eclectic Red Barn: Putting hay on conveyor belt
The conveyor belt has large teeth to grab the bales. We start the motor and begin to load the bales.
Eclectic Red Barn: Putting hay on conveyor belt
I had to go at this point to the top of the loft to take the bales off and give them to Lory who will stack them. No more pictures!!

In the end, we put up 132 bales. This was light compared to other years, but it went quickly with the four of us. May have to get more later in the summer. They will probably wait for me. lol!

I have to say, I was tired, but not like past years. Thanks to the conveyor belt. If you have ever put up hay, you know what I mean.


The post Putting up Hay first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.
 
Linking to these parties:

Thrifty Thursday Squarepin junkie pinterest

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...