FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Vintage Doilies Make JOY Banner

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Vintage Doilies Make JOY Banner

We all know that Christmas is a joyous time. The music, shopping, baking, decorating and wrapping presents. Not to mention parties and quests. I love this time of year. However, a slight twist was added. Instead of having Christmas here in Davie, we decided to have it at our home north of Orlando. No problem, until my daughter who is flying in from California said, "are you decorating the house"? Yikes! Both houses?

Usually, we just put up outside lights. Now I have to do the inside. I went through some of my decorations to see what I could use up there, since I had already decorated the house here, not much. I decided to make as many decorations as I could. I did not want to buy enough stuff for two homes. 

So this JOY banner was my first creation.
Eclectic Red Barn: JOY Christmas Banner

I started with some red burlap. I cut it 10 inches wide by 24 inches long. You can vary yours to meet your needs.
I found these vintage doilies. They were thick and had a pattern on one side. If I turned them over, they would work.
Eclectic Red Barn:Vintage doilies

 I only had two of these so I found another one that would work.
Eclectic Red Barn:Vintage doilies I cut out the letters in felt and then using thread, stitched them to the plain side of the doilies. 
Eclectic Red Barn: Attaching letters to Vintage doilies
I didn't want to glue them since I didn't want to damage the doilies. The letters can be removed. 

Once all the letters were stitched on, I stitched the doilies to the burlap.
Eclectic Red Barn: JOY Christmas Banner
To hang the banner, I found a dowel that I used on another project and cut it to size. I used ribbon to hang it. To keep the banner from sliding off the dowel, I glued two vintage buttons on the ends.
Eclectic Red Barn:  Vintage buttons hold banner on
The banner gave this area a great punch of Christmas spirit.
Eclectic Red Barn: JOY Christmas Banner
It was an easy project to do and since I had all of the supplies, it was cheap!!!

I used burlap and doilies, but you could use other fabrics or paper doilies with construction paper for letters. You could even chain the doilies together instead of adding them to a banner. This might be a great project to do with the kids. 

Off to make more decorations!



The post Vintage Doilies Make JOY Banner first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:

 NEWDIYLargeButton Inspire Me MondayThe Chicken ChickParty Every Monday NightProject Inspired What a great idea! Christmas ButtonInspire Me Wednesday Link Partywow-me_thumb1_thumb1Ivy and ElephantsThursday Favorite Things ButtonThrifty Thursday SquareShabbilicious-Friday ChristmasToo Much Time On My HandsLove Bakes Good Cakes 31 Days to Slash Your Budget Painlessly

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...